in

South Africa: Swiss Star Federer To Quit Rogers Cup

Eight-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer has hauled out of one month from now’s ATP Rogers Cup competition in Toronto because of planning concerns.

The 36-year-old Federer said he should be judicious about what number of competitions he plays in a season.

“I’m so disappointed not to play at the Rogers Cup this late spring,” said world number two Federer.

“I had a fantastic time in Montreal last year and always enjoy playing in front of the Canadian fans.

“But unfortunately with scheduling being the key to my longevity moving forward, I have regrettably decided to withdraw from Toronto this year.”

Jeremy Chardy of France will take Federer’s place in the main draw.

Organizers said the event, which takes place August 4-12 at Toronto’s York University, will feature 19 of the top 20 players in the world including reigning Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic and world number one Rafael Nadal.

“It’s unfortunate that we won’t have Roger in Toronto this summer,” said tournament spokesman Karl Hale.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mercy Johnson

Nigerian Actress, Mercy Johnson Returns Back To Work, Weeks After Her Mom Died

Uganda: Otafiire Cautions Voters Against Electing Basalirwa As Member Of Parliament