in

French police raid 128 more houses overnight

Policemen walk along a building in Strasbourg, eastern France, during investigations following the attacks in Paris. (Patrick Hertzog, AFP)

Policemen walk along a building in Strasbourg, eastern France, during investigations following the attacks in Paris. (Patrick Hertzog, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in PicturesSend us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Paris – French security forces have searched 128 houses overnight as part of anti-terrorism operations, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Tuesday.

Speaking on France Info radio, Cazeneuve did not say whether the searches led to any arrests.

Police conducted a similar operation the previous night on 168 homes nationwide, taking in for questioning 23 people and seizing 31 weapons.

Cazeneuve said a total of 115 000 policemen and soldiers had been mobiliSed following the November 13 multiple attacks on Paris, which killed 129 people and injured 352.

ISIS claimed responsibility for them, and authorities in France and Belgium are still hunting for the suspected culprits.

A meeting between French President Francois Hollande and US Secretary of State John Kerry will take place later on Tuesday at the US embassy in Paris.

After arriving in Paris Monday night, Kerry said ultimately, ISIS and all who share their “despicable ideology” would be defeated.

France is expected to officially request help from other EU states at a meeting of EU defence ministers in Brussels.

In rare address to both houses of parliament on Monday, Hollande invoked a solidarity clause for bloc members under military attack, called for joint action on the repatriation of irregular migrants and weapon smuggling, and the approval by December of a common record of air passengers’ data.

Written by PH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Thousands displaced in Sudan’s Darfur

Hollande calls for grand coalition to defeat ISIS