ban ki moon
ban ki moon


UN Chief Fires South Sudan Peacekeeping Commander

The UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday sacked the commander of the peacekeeping force in South Sudan following a damning report showing failure to protect civilians during recent violence in Juba.

The report from a UN special investigation found that a lack of leadership in the UN mission culminated in a “chaotic and ineffective response” during the heavy fighting in the capital from July 8 to 11.

Peacekeepers abandoned their posts and failed to respond to pleas for help from aid workers under attack in a nearby hotel, according to a summary of the report.

The UN mission known as UNMISS has 16,000 troops deployed in South Sudan, which has been at war since December 2013.

“The special investigation found that UNMISS did not respond effectively to the violence due to an overall lack of leadership, preparedness and integration among the various components of the mission,” said UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric.

Chinese peacekeepers abandoned their positions at least twice and Nepalese peacekeepers failed to stop looting inside the UN compound, the inquiry found.

Ban said he was “deeply distressed by these findings” and “alarmed by the serious shortcomings identified by the special investigation.”

The UN chief “has asked for the immediate replacement of the force commander”, said Dujarric, adding that other measures would follow.

ALSO READ  UN weighs South Sudan arms embargo

Lieutenant General Johnson Mogoa Kimani Ondieki of Kenya had been the force commander since May.

No response to screams

The fierce fighting in Juba involved helicopter gunships and tanks pitting President Salva Kiir’s government forces and those loyal to ex-rebel chief Riek Machar.

Machar fled the capital during the violence that derailed international efforts to form a unity government and restore peace to South Sudan.

The investigation led by retired Dutch general Patrick Cammaert was unable to verify allegations that peacekeepers did nothing to help women who were raped near the UN base during the heavy fighting.

But in a later incident on September 2, a woman was assaulted near the entrance to a UN compound “in plain sight” of the peacekeepers, the report said.

“Despite the woman’s screams, they did not react” and other UN staff intervened, it added.

After the crisis, peacekeepers “continued to display a risk-averse posture unsuited to protecting civilians from sexual violence” and other attacks, said the report.

UNMISS soldiers refused to conduct foot patrols near UN bases and instead would “peer out from the tiny windows of armored personnel carriers, an approach ill-suited to detecting perpetrators of sexual violence and engaging with communities to provide a sense of security.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *