Pretoria – Oscar Pistorius’s lawyer could not comment on reports that the former Paralympian will appeal the decision not to release him from jail on Friday.
“I may not discuss it,” Barry Roux told News24 on Thursday morning.
He referred queries to Brian Webber, senior director at law firm Ramsay Webber, who could not be reached for comment.
Justice Minister Michael Masutha announced on Wednesday that the decision to release Pistorius into correctional supervision from Kgosi Mampuru II prison on Friday was being reviewed by the correctional supervision and parole review board.
This was after he received a letter from the Progressive Women’s Movement opposing Pistorius’s release during Women’s Month.
On October 21 last year, the High Court in Pretoria sentenced Pistorius to five years in jail for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. He shot her through the locked door of his toilet on February 14, 2013. His defence was that he thought she was an intruder.
Masutha said the parole board could only decide whether to release Pistorius after he had served one-sixth, or 10 months, of his sentence, which would be on Friday. The board however already made its decision in June.
Beeld reported on Thursday that his legal team would bring an urgent application to challenge the minister’s decision as soon as possible after the weekend; while The Star speculated that it expected an application to brought before Friday, when Pistorius would have been released.