in

Nigerians Protest Against President Buhari’s Govt Despite ‘Cancellation’

Hundreds of protesters have turned up for the #IstandwithNigeria protests march that was organised by famous musician 2face, despite last minute cancellation, BBC reports.

The popular Afro-Pop artist, whose real name is Innocent Idibia, last week called on Nigerians to march on February 6 to protest the worsening economic conditions in a country frustrated by galloping inflation and sluggish growth.

The police, however, said on Thursday they would not allow the march to go ahead because “hoodlums are planning to hijack” the protest.

This reportedly led to the popular singer calling off the protests on Sunday.

The musician said that they were groups that wanted to hijack his protests march, thus, he had to cancel it as “the point and intent am making is not worth the life of any Nigerian”.

ALSO READ  Malaba Residents Protest Over Insecurity After Attack On Five Security Guards In Kenya

He said the idea of the protest was to demand a better life for Nigerians.

“I therefore announce the cancellation of the planned protest. We will share further information in due course.

But, despite the cancellation of the march, more than a hundred protesters turned up.

One of the groups behind the protests, Enough is Enough said it was protesting over a raft of issues including security, education, health, power and unemployment.

Some of the placards which were carried by the protesters read: “Unemployed people are hungry and angry” and “There can’t be a set of rules for the poor and another set for the rich.”

The protest took place as reports on Monday said that President Muhammadu Buhari had extended his UK stay for medical reasons, as rumours swirled over his health.

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA


Liberia Leader Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Bars Official Travel Abroad For 60 Days

500 migrants on way to Europe rescued off Libya