Convicted Murderer and former Paralympian Oscar Pistorius was transported from his prison cell to the Kalafong Hospital in Pretoria on Thursday morning.
Surrounded by armed guards, Oscar was taken by ambulance to the casualty section after he reportedly complained of chest pain.
Correctional Services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo confirmed the report.
“Correctional services can confirm that offender Oscar Pistorius was this morning taken to an outside hospital establishment for medical examination, and is expected back in the facility later today,” Nxumalo said in a statement.
— Aldrin Sampear (@AldrinSampear) August 3, 2017
Initial reports had it that the athlete suffered a heart attack. However, it was found not to be the case, as the 30-year-old has since been discharged.
Correctional Services officials and a family member also confirmed that Oscar is now doing “okay.”
In August 2016, the blade runner was also rushed to the Kalafong Hospital after sustaining injuries to his wrist in jail. His uncle, Arnold, told reporters at the time that Oscar had slipped after grabbing at a drawer that was on wheels.
Pistorius was sentenced to six years behind the bar for murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home.
Oscar has been behind bars for the murder of his model girl, Reeva Steenkamp, since July 6 last year. He killed Reeva, a model, by shooting her through his bathroom door on February 14, 2013.
The former Paralympian told the court he didn’t kill his girlfriend intentionally. He claimed he mistook her for an intruder. Oscar was transferred from the Kgosi Mampuru II prison to the Atteridgeville prison, also in Pretoria on November 2016.
Meanwhile, Logan Maistry, Deputy Commissioner of Communications from the Department of Correctional Services said the double amputee could be eligible for parole within two years.
He said the department is waiting for a report of Oscar Pistorius’ health.