Boko Haram on Sunday restated its conditions for releasing the Chibok girls and threatened to bomb Lagos, Abuja and Borno in a fresh video.
The video showed some girls in Hijab behind an armed Boko Haram militant wearing a desert camouflage combat uniform, a bullet proof vest and covering his face with a turban.
The girls stood behind a black backdrop – 13 of them standing and the rest sitting – while the armed spokesperson demanded the release of some of the captured militants in return for the girls.
The insurgent also claimed that some of the girls died in air strikes by the Nigerian Air Force, while some others have been married off.
He threatened to rescue the captured Boko Haram members held in Lagos, Abuja and Maiduguri (Borno). ”I specially inform our people in captivity in Lagos that they should be patient and continue with their prayers, God will take us to where no one expects and we will rescue them.
“All those in Lagos, Maiduguri and other southern parts of the country; keep praying, very soon, we will rescue you,” he said.
The 11-minute footage came amid the decimation of the terrorist group’s capability to further cause large scale destruction. The military through its counter insurgency OperationLafiya Dole has also arrested many members of the group.
The sect member also said in the video: ”They should know that their children are still in our hands; there is a number of the girls, about 40 of them, they have been married, some of them have died as a result of aerial bombardment.”
Boko Haram on Sunday released a video of the girls allegedly kidnapped from Chibok in April 2014, showing some who are still alive and claiming others died in air strikes according to News24.
The video is the latest release from embattled Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, who earlier this month denied claims that he had been replaced as the leader of the jihadist group.
“They should know that their children are still in our hands,” said a man whose face was covered by a turban in the video posted on YouTube.
“There is a number of the girls, about 40 of them, that have been married by the decision of Allah,” said the man in the 11-minute video, which shows girls with veils sitting on the ground and standing in the background.
“Some of them have died as a result of aerial bombardment.”
The mass kidnapping of 276 Chibok schoolgirls in April 2014 provoked global outrage and brought unprecedented attention on the Boko Haram conflict, in which at least 20,000 people have been killed since 2009.