Cassper Nyovest will be performing at the Uganda MTN Full Moon Party today but what do we know about him?
Whether you know what his favorite colour is or what the first thing he does in the morning is; the one thing most South Africans, especially those in music industry, can agree on is that this young man has shaken up the scene and promises to do more for the industry, his fans and the country as whole.
Here are 10 things however that one should know about Cassper Nyovest.
1. He is mainly a rapper however at times switches to other genres like Afro fusion case in point a song he collaborated with Davido titled “Check on you’
2. He wasn’t always ‘Casper Nyovest’. The young rapper started off as a ‘Young Gun’ and adopted the ‘Casper Nyovest’ name when he started hanging with Motswako guru, Hip Hop Pantsula. Those close to him have said there may be a link to his favorite childhood cartoon, Casper the Friendly Ghost.
3. Some of the most recognizable songs are ‘Mama I made it’, ‘Doc shebeleza’, ‘phumakim’ He also has a few collabos however with big South African musicians like ‘Ngud ft Kwesta’ , ‘Jump ft Anatti and Nasty C’, to mention but a few.
4. In his diss-track to hip-hop rival AKA, Casper hollers that he is “straight outta Promosa”. Always loyal to his home province of the North West, it’s no wonder he mentions the small town in Potchefstroom, outside Ikageng Township where he lived with his beloved grandmother.
5. His management team is made up of childhood friends, the likes of Carpo, who he has known for over a decade; and who stuck with him through his days of trying to break into the cut-throat industry. Casper is known for his loyalty to friends and family, but even those don’t come near the loyalty he has for his Creator. Raised in a staunch Christian home, he credits his success to his faith.
6. He named the album after his younger sister after she gave him the R50 he needed to take a taxi to Johannesburg where he knew he had a better shot of realizing his dreams – he’s never looked back.
7. His first album, Tsholofelo, is named after his youngest sibling and the second, Refiloe, after himself. It would not be a far-fetched notion that his next albums may be named after his sister, Thuto, and late brother Khotso.
8. Nyovest had close ties with slain businessman Wandile Bozwana, the business owner of energy drink brand “Orgazma”, who he says inspired him. The artist has been seen at many events promoting the brand in a ‘not-so-discreet’ way
9. Casper has been in some friction with some of the biggest names in South Africa. Earlier this year he took on Super Sport for using the slogan “Slyza Tsotsi”, from his track with twin DJ duo Major League. Before that he slammed Savanna, in their promotion of their dark alcoholic beverage. They used the phrase “Dark dark, Shebeleza” – sound familiar?
10. Casper grew up an awkward looking boy who was skinny and shy. He has since embraced his weight gain, calling himself a “sexy, chubby n***a”. Although he may be trying to shed some of that cuteness – he’s recently posted images of himself at the gym. Could this have anything to do with his sexy girlfriend, Boitumelo Thulo?