Police Made Critical Errors Early In Trayvon Martin Case
PLUS: Prosecutor Won’t Use Grand Jury
The special prosecutor investigating the killing of Trayvon Martin has decided not to convene a grand jury in the case.
Now, the decision to file charges against George Zimmerman, 28, who told police he shot Martin, 17, in self-defense during an altercation in late February, will be totally in the hands of State Attorney Angela B. Corey.
The former state prosecutor on the case, Norman Wolfinger, announced in mid-March that a grand jury would be called to help determine whether Zimmerman would face any charges in Martin’s death. But as public pressure mounted about the case, Wolfinger recused himself from the case, saying that he was stepping away “in the interest of the public safety of the citizens of Seminole County and to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.”
Gov. Rick Scott appointed Corey, a prosecutor in the Jacksonville area, to replace Wolfinger on the investigation.
“The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case,” State Attorney Corey’s office said in a statement, according to CNN. The grand jury had been scheduled to convene on Tuesday. “At this time, the investigation continues and there will be no further comment from this office.”
Natalie Jackson, an attorney for Martin’s family, called the move is a hopeful sign that Zimmerman could soon be charged.
“I think it signals that an arrest could be forthcoming,” said Jackson. “I don’t have any indication; that is just my opinion, but there is enough evidence in this case for an arrest, and a jury should be the one to decide his fate.”
Source: Huffington post