Five persons were killed on Thursday when gunmen attacked a bakery on Polo road in Maiduguri, Borno State..
Residents told newsmen that the gunmen stormed the Kasimi bakery in the afternoon while the workers were busy baking bread.
“Three gunmen, mostly teenagers stormed the bakery while the workers were busy baking bread. They shot sporadically at the workers. Tthe sound of gun shots created panic among the residents who scampered for safety. We all rushed home, when we heard the gun shots at the bakery. We later discovered that five workers had been killed by the attackers,’’ he said.
Usman said the dead bodies were taken to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital by a team of the Joint Task Force, who came to the scene shortly after the killing.
Borno State Police Commissioner, Alhaji Bala Hassan, confirmed the incident, saying the police had already commenced investigations on the matter.
Meanwhile, unknown gunmen on Thursday shot and wounded two policemen near the Tula Filling Station on the Eastern by-pass in Kano, NAN reported.
Eyewitnesses told NAN that the gunmen fled immediately after firing the gun shots.
One of the policemen was shot in the leg while the other had his arm brushed by the bullet.
Magaji Majia, the Kano State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, confirmed the incident to NAN, saying the victims were rushed to hospital where one of them was receiving treatment while the other had already been discharged.
He said the police could not chase the assailants because they disappeared into the crowd, but assured that the police command was on top of the situation and that investigation had commenced into the incident.
NAN correspondent who went round the metropolis reported that security check points mounted at strategic places since the Boko Haram attack in January had now been relaxed.
The Police spokesman said the decision to relax the security checking was in response to pleas by the public over the hardship and inconveniences being faced by the people.
Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner of Police Olusola Amore has denied reports by some media organizations that the convoy of the Inspector General of Police was attacked by Boko Haram.
In an interview monitored on national television last night, he said the IGP had even left Kano before the incident in which two policemen were attacked by Boko Haram took place.
Credits: NAN with update by our staff reporter