There is a fake plastic rice currently trying to storm Nigerian markets. To avoid falling a prey of the dangerous ploy of desperate marketers, these are ways to identify the fake rice.
The ‘fake plastic rice’ saga has continued to trend across Nigeria after the Federal Operations Unit, Ikeja, of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, intercepted 102 bags of plastic rice branded “Beat Tomato Rice’’ with no date of manufacture.
Several reports have revealed that China produces fake rice which is mixed with plastic for exportation to African countries including Nigeria and as the Yuletide draws close, there are indications that most people will fall victims to consuming the fake product.
Daily Post is reporting that you can determine if your rice is fake by carrying out some of the tests.
According to Daily Post, an expert, Emmie Shield revealed that the plastic rice is made by forming potatoes and sweet potatoes into regular rice grains shape, then adding industrial synthetic resins.
Shield said it remains hard after cooking and can cause serious health issues.
Nigerians have raised the alarm of possible flooding of the Nigerian market with the plastic rice, although, the NCS has assured Nigerians that it will uncover the person(s) behind importation of the deadly plastic rice.
Shield disclosed to Daily Post the various ways to discover the fake plastic rice.
Follow the steps below…
1. Water Test: Get a glass of cold water, pour a tablespoon of raw rice in the glass and stir. If the rice goes to the bottom, it is all good. If it floats at the top, it means it contains ‘plastic rice’.
2. When molding a few grains of rice with a mortar and pestle, if the powder gives a quite white colour, it’s fit for consumption but if it has a yellow discoloration, it is fake.
3. Boiling test: Observe the rice while boiling. If it starts forming a thick layer at the top of the pot, it is plastic rice.
4. Hot oil test: Take some of the rice drop into some real hot oil, it will melt or stick together or stick at the bottom of the pan if it is fake.
5. Fire test: Get a lighter and burn a handful of rice – If it catches fire and smells like burnt plastic, it is fake.
6. Mold test: Boil the rice and leave it in a warm place for like 2-3 days. If mold does not appear in a few days, the rice is fake. It will not get mold because plastic is not affected by the weather or temperature.